Thursday, December 24, 2009

My Last Christmas at Home


MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

The Snow in Minnesota
20" and still falling since yesterday late afternoon. Mina and I dug trenches and attempted to make a fort, so my goofy sister could jump in the middle of it and make a snow angel. This Christmas we are starting new traditions for our family.


My mom was gifted a set of American White Square China plates and a set of silverware this year. Something she has never had and I'm not sure she ever wanted, but since our family is starting new traditions, I suppose it will be the gift she passes on to Mina when she gets married and has a family of her own. For the first time EVER, my mom has decided to have a formal dinner for our family on Christmas day and make use of her new China and silverware, complete with cloth napkins, silver napkin rings, purple, gold and white candles and wine glasses (we don't drink but they match the plates). My mom is cooking by request, so we are having ham, turkey, prime rib, mashed potatoes, cheesy rice with broccoli, collard greens, lobster stuffed ravioli, wild mushroom dressing, homemade rolls and a spicy sausage and potato soup. I'm sure she bought dessert since she doesn't bake. It should be my last Christmas living at home, so I'm glad mom is going all out. My mom never gets anything for herself and I believe she deserves these lovely things.

The meaning of Christmas is significant. regardless of your race or religion, as a Christian, specifically a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints, the Mormons, I feel prompted to share the true message of Christmas. It is nice to get gifts and use our spirit of giving to create and practice Christmas traditions, such as making cookies and pastries for our friends and family using recipes passed on through the generations, using our voices to sing carols for those who are in need, and decorating our homes, it is the time we celebrate the birth of Christ and the spirit you feel that moves you to do good deeds, is the light of Christ you carry within you. Along with many others at this time, I wish you happiness, love, peace and hope for all things good. I wish that everyone takes the time to learn of Christ that they might find comfort in His enduring love for each of us. I wish everyone finds a personal relationship with our Savior and Redeemer, Jesus Christ. This is the best gift I can wish for everyone on earth. Again to you and your families,
                                     MERRY CHRISTMAS!

3 comments:

Scrappycook said...

Dear Marely, Thank you for sharing your testimony on Christmas Eve. It is a tender reminder of the precious gift we all have been received from our Savior.
I loved your tribute to your Mom - she is a great woman and so very strong in her faith. What an example she is to so many. It is easy to see the teachings she has passed on to her children. Have a very Merry Christmas and enjoy that delicious dinner!
Thank you for all of your service to me and your kind words of encouragement. They bring me to tears more than you will know.

Queen "B" said...

Aloha Marley,
Love your blog and your sweet message of a true CHRISTMAS...especially your sweet thoughts about your Mom, she found my blog and I have really enjpoyed getting to know her and you and your family! Marley we played your playlist all day today and it wqs really great, My oldest Travis who is awaiting his Mission Call noticed the new Island Flava tunes and it was all props to you, so Mahalo for your gift of music, we love it! Your Mom and I share so much in common, especially the love we have for our sons who are willing to serve the Lord. Awesome job, keep it up! give your Mom a hug frome me and Merry Christmas
Brandi

Valerie said...

Wow! Your mom really did go all out for dinner! I can't imagine making all that for one day. I hope you enjoyed your last Christmas home for a while. It's great that you know what Christmas is really all about. For me it is definitely love and peace because of the sacrifice of our Savior!